Thursday, August 18, 2005

Service

I wrote tiny bit saying of Shaykh Ubdaydullah (q) in April and last weekend, while having breakfast in Penang, one saying of his struck me. The saying was (from www.naqshbandi.org):

"Everyone enters through a different door; I entered this Spiritual Order through the door of service."

Another luminaries, Shah Naqshband (q) used to say,

"We love to serve, not to be served. When we serve, Allah is happy with us, and this brings more attraction to the Divine Presence and Allah opens that state more for us. However, to be served, brings pride and weakness to the heart and causes us to recede from the Divine Presence."

It is not an easy thing to be of service in the name of our Lord. Not easy if our heart is hard that is. Often times, when I see something that I can help, while driving for example, my mind can’t decide whether to help or not. And while that is going on, I would have passed the opportunity to help. I guess that shows the state of my heart or conscience. And the thing about our heart is that, it gives us sign. When we are terribly angry for example, we would act like an insane and would feel the heat inside us. May our dear Lord save us from that.

But last weekend, the opportunity for service was granted and I felt some softness inside. Hopefully we could have more of it, for He is the Most Generous & Most Merciful, and we all can be a bit like Shaykh Ubaydullah (q) above.

No comments: