Thursday, August 04, 2005

Richard Fenyman

Somehow, books that I read tend to be non-fiction. And a few of those stick to my mind even though the books may not be with me anymore. One example of such books are those by Richard Fenyman. To me, he's one of the great physicists of our century; at least to me since the way he presented science it seems like an easy subject.

In one of the books, which as always, I can't remember now which one, he talked about the education system in Brazil. How it teaches children to memorize things instead of understand and think about things. I feel that when I was growing up, our education system is also the same. Those students who can regurgite the formula back seem to be on the top percentile of the class. Just the other day, I was reading a book by Bill Moyers 'A world of Ideas' and one of the interviews he had was with this top Chinese scientist in the US and that scientist was also complaining about the same thing. The scientist felt that his graduate students from China is good at memorizing but not at coming up with boudary-breaking ideas; whereas his US students are otherwise.

I feel that reading Fenyman changed some of my thought processes and maybe characters too. Sadly, I don't know where I put his books, either in Puchong or in Kelantan. I shall find out. Meanwhile, if you want to know more, visit these sites:
1. http://www.geocities.com/feynmang/
2. http://www.feynman.com/

Or just goggle it out.

No comments: